Sunday, March 27, 2011

BYU Mint Brownies

ah, i can hear the halleilujah chorus. These are so so so so so so soooo good. If you've never had a BYU mint brownie, than you are missing out and i suggest you make these right away, especially if you are pregnant, psst annie. I actually like this version better than BYU's, but that's just me. so hear you go, you can thank me later.

1 c. margarine 1/2 c. cocoa

2 Tbsp honey

4 eggs

2 c. flour

1/2 Tbsp baking powder

1/2 t salt 1 c chopped walnuts ( you can omit this. i did when i made them)

Melt margarine in microwave and mix in cocoa. Allow it to cool, then add eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Add nuts. Pour batter into a greased 9X 13 inch baking pan. Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool.

Mint Icing:

5 Tbsp margarine

dash of salt

3 Tbsp milk

1 Tbsp light corn syrup

2 1/3 c powdered sugar

1 tsp. peppermint extract

1-2 drops green food coloring

Soften Margarine then add salt, corn syrup, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add peppermint extract and food coloring. Mix. Add milk gradually until the consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting.

Spread mint icing over cooled brownies. Place brownies in the freezer for a short time to stiffen the icing. Remove from the freezer and carefully add a layer of chocolate icing. The recipe i followed said to just use store bought chocolate icing, but if you're like me you'd agree that that would ruin the perfection you just made so make your own favorite chocolate icing to put on it.

1 comment:

  1. I have a question about these.. is something missing? I made these, and the batter was really thick, almost like a bread dough. After they were baked, they didn't even rise. I thought maybe I had missed a step, but I read the directions again, and I followed it through and through.
    Am I just crazy? Or is this how they are supposed to turn out?

    ReplyDelete