Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Terriyaki Chicken Gyros

I've got four words. These. Changed. My. Life.
This is now number one on my list of the best things I could put in my mouth. That's all I'm going to say.
I did my own spin on a recipe I found on Annie's Eats. If you want that recipe you can find it here http://annies-eats.net/2009/06/02/chicken-gyros/. I HIGHLY reccomend mine though; it's easier and you're more likely to have the ingredients on hand.





Terriyaki Marinade:




1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar



2 cloves minced garlic



However much boneless, skinless chicken you want; Iused about 1 lb but there's enough marinade for more.




Cut the chicken into strips, place in a plastic bag and marinade for at least 4 hours in the fridge. Grill or bake. I grilled mine on my George Foreman.








Tzatziki Sauce:



This is definately not a traditional Tzatziki sauce, but it's got hints of it here and there.



1/3 cup Mayonnaise



1/4 -1/2 tsp. lemon zest ( more or less according to your taste)



Juice of 1/2 a lemon



2-3 minced garlic



1/4 tsp. red wine vinegar



1/2 tsp. dried oregano or fresh if you have it on hand.



salt and plenty of ground pepper to taste



Mix this up and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so the flavours meld. Yes I spelled flavour with a "u". I am Canadian








To Assemble:



Pita bread- I highly reccomend trying homemade pita bread. I used this recipe and it was fantastic. However, store bought would be fine...but fine is not amazing. I'd go for amazing, which the homemade are. Here's the link http://annies-eats.net/2010/04/20/whole-wheat-pita-bread/



Fresh tomatoes, chopped



chopped cucumber



thinly sliced red onion



chopped romain lettuce



Feta cheese.



Take your warmed pita, spread some tzatziki sauce on it, fill with some slices of chicken, tomatoe, cucumber, onion and romaine. Top with crumbled Feta. So Good! Bon appetit from California!



Emily
















No comments:

Post a Comment