Sunday, July 11, 2010

Chicken, Chicken...Scones

Hello All!
Its Annie here. I have some great recipes that I have found over the last couple of weeks to share (and they aren't sweets -that seems to have been the trend so far. Clearly we Allred girls like our sugar!) I apologize that they aren't fancy with step by step pictures- I've been pretty busy lately, so when I'm cooking I'm usually multi-tasking. Either way, just wanted to share these recipes!
First up is Salsa Chicken. I made this last night and it is so easy. You really don't need a recipe for it, but just for kicks, here it is:


4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)

Preheat to 375 degrees. Place chicken in a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan, sprinkle taco seasoning on both sides of chicken breasts, and pour salsa over all.
Bake at 375 for 25-35 minutes, or until chicken is tender and its juices run clear.
Sprinkle chicken evenly with cheese, and continue baking for 3-5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Top with sour cream if desired.
Serve with rice and corn.

* I made a few changes to this recipe: I did my own taco seasoning with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and seasoning salt. I cut down on the cheese and just sprinkled a little bit on top of the chicken, and I used mango salsa, which I highly recommend! It was delish.


Next up is Baked Honey Mustard Chicken ( I went a little crazy with chicken the past couple of weeks). This is another really simple, but good recipe.


6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon paprika ( I omitted this)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste, and place in a greased 9x13 inch pan. In a small bowl, combined honey, mustard, basil, paprika and parsley. Mix well. Pour 1/2 of mixture over the chicken and brush to cover.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and brush with the remaining mixture. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until juices run clear.

*I served this with a garden salad and savory scones (recipe below).

The last recipe I wanted to share is Savory Scones. I had never tried them before, but for some reason had a craving for them the other day. I found a recipe on Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen, and altered it a bit to my liking. Here is my version of the recipe. Enjoy!


2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter, cut up
1 egg
2/3 cup buttermilk
dried rosemary

Preheat oven to 425.
Mix flour sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, rosemary, and cheddar cheese.
Add cold butter to dry mixture and, using a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
Light beat egg with buttermilk. Add to mixture and stir with a fork until the mixture comes together. Turn out onto a floured board and knead the dough 5 or 6 times.
Place the rounded dough onto a greased baking sheet, and press into a circle. Cut into 8 pie-shaped segments.
Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes or until golden.

*TIP: Buttermilk can be substituted. 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes. Voila!

1 comment: